Wednesday 7 March 2012

Facelift

Way back in the dawn of time I kitbashed an Ultramarine Captain with Lightning Claws. I loved how he turned out but I was never happy with his claws as I was forced to use ones from the Assault Terminator kit.

See for your self


As you can see they are very disproportionate to his body. Far far to big and ungainly. Its played on my mind loe these many years and finally I decided to do something about it. I decided to get rid of the claws and give him the tried and true Storm Shield and relic blade combination. But what to use?

I eventually went with a Chaos Knight shield with the chaos icons filed off which made a good base for the shield.

His relic blade gave me more of an issue. I wanted it to look roman-esque but didnt want to use a spear. I eventually decided I wanted a gladius type blade. However there are no such weapons avaliable which sent me to the bits box for some inspiration.

I eventually used a fairly standard power sword arm with the blade cut off while still keeping the skull attached. I then cut down a high elf prince sword and cut a deep groove down the middle of the skull which I slotted the blade. I then shaved the power conduit off the old blade and attached it to the new one. The result....... well pretty damn awesome truth be told. Granted its longer than a real gladius would be but then its a relic blade that grants +2 strength so would need to be a bit bigger.




And there we have it. A simple arm swap breaths new life into an old model. I now cant wait to send him back onto the battlefield.

2 comments: